Wednesday, April 22, 2009

I Heart Dirty Code



I can totally understand the frustration with website designs concerning CSS layouts and browser compatibility issues. It is a lot to learn and I am sure everyone has gone through a lot of trials, lots of testing, and basically just making everything work. I recently got scolded by a programmer because I used a z-index and absolute positioning in one of my sites. I did not think there was anything wrong with it, but he mentioned it was a "dirty code" and not to use it ever again! So, ok. I got it. No more using z-index. I felt like a kid wearing a dunce cap :) But, oh well, I got a nice t-shirt graphic out of it at least....

Labels: , ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Loni Edwards said...

Haha! I would hate to know what some designers would think of my newbieness coding :) Cute Illo. I <3 Dirty Code too!

10:26 AM  
Blogger Michelle Lana said...

Hehehe...thanks Loni! You're too funny.

10:53 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

It doesn't matter what the code looks like, only what the design looks like in the web browser! (except IE6)

2:37 PM  
Blogger pati said...

Hahaha... I need one t-shirt like this one, too. It seems like is the only great thing about dirty code ;)

4:16 PM  
Blogger Pickledog said...

Hi Michelle! Silly web guy, doesn't he know that illustrators have z-index immunity?!

The shirt is hilarious!

8:39 PM  
Blogger Anette Heiberg said...

Hi Michelle! Thanks for the nice comment you left in my blog. Everything is good here in Norway. I'm enjoying the spring weather we have these days. How nice that your nephew visited you. I bet he thought it was a long way to travel. Keep up the great work!

1:58 AM  
Blogger Brine Blank said...

That's pretty funny...somehow I lost track of you and didn't realize you'd reappeared! Now I've got some catching up to do.

5:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12:46 AM  
Blogger Rob said...

I just want you to know that those two properties, z-index and position, are TOTALLY ok to use together, and often. I think whoever told you that has probably never built-out a legitimate design. HTML and CSS exist to support the content and the design -- not the other way around. It's not 'dirty code' by any means. You keep doing what you're doing and all the web standard divas out there can enjoy designing in their browser using CSS 3 properties that are barely supporting.

9:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home